Many people are already using eggnog as an indulgent creamer for their coffee.
Although eggnog is often associated with alcoholic beverages and Christmas recipes, recently, this dairy-based ingredient has officially entered the menu of several cafes. On the other hand, this is a very rich and particular product with a peculiar taste. If you want to try it as a creative substitute for your usual coffee creamer, you should read what we have found out.
What Is Eggnog?
Also known as milk punch or egg milk punch, eggnog is a dairy-based beverage characterized by a rich and sweet flavor. It is made with milk, whipped egg whites, egg yolks, sugar, and honey. It is mainly used with distilled spirits such as whisky and bourbon to make sweet and spicy cocktails.
Nevertheless, the increasing success of eggnog has now consecrated this chilled and bold drink’s advent in the world of coffee.
Is Eggnog Safe?
Eggnog is made with raw eggs. As a general rule, consuming raw eggs can expose you to salmonella bacteria, which can develop into a bad case of food poisoning. However, this doesn’t mean you should say goodbye forever to eggnog.
You can still avoid raw eggs-induced salmonella by only preparing your drink with pasteurized eggs. However, you shouldn’t drink eggnog if you are pregnant or intolerant to specific ingredients.
Can You Use Eggnog As A Coffee Creamer?
The real question should be: is eggnog good with coffee? The answer is yes, absolutely. Nothing complements coffee’s rich and bold aroma like the thickness of eggnog’s texture. Together, the two beverages make the ultimate wintertime drink, although you can enjoy it whenever you want to.
Does Eggnog Curdle In Coffee?
One of the elements which make your coffee delicious is its texture. However, too much eggnog can overpower your drink and even curdle if the beverage is too hot.
To ensure this doesn’t happen, you can add some frothed milk. This should prevent the alcohol from reacting with your coffee’s hot temperature, allowing your eggnog to maintain its rich and bold texture. If you have alcohol-free eggnog, you shouldn’t have any issues.
What Can I Put In My Coffee Instead Of Creamer?
Eggnog is only one of the many products you can add to your coffee as a cream. We have picked some of our favorites which we are sure you will love. Some of these suggestions may sound unfamiliar or even a bit odd, but we promise they are worth a try!
- Heavy whipping cream, to turn any coffee break into a dessert treat
- Unsalted butter, the perfect option if you are on a keto diet
- Honey, an environmentally-friendly alternative that will make your coffee sweet and tasty
- MCT oil, a dietary supplement that provides support for weight management and helps those on a keto diet
- Maple syrup, which will give your coffee an indulgent pancake-like aftertaste
- Chocolate, to either make your mocha at home or spice your coffee up a little bit
What Is The Healthiest Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer?
Even when trying to lose some weight, it might be hard to say goodbye to that splash of milk or creamer in your morning coffee. To help you stay on track and enjoy your caffeine break, we have listed some of the best non-dairy and calorie-friendly alternatives to try as your next coffee creamer.
- Coconut Milk. As simple as it may sound, coconut milk is the perfect choice for those who wish to avoid dairy products and still make their coffee sweeter.
- Dairy-free soy creamer. Soy is always the main dairy alternative, and it can be the best creamer if you don’t like the nut-based aftertaste of other dairy-free beverages.
- Coconut butter. Blend 2 tsp of coconut butter in your coffee for a rich and silky drink.
What Is The Best Coffee Creamer For Keto?
You surely want to experiment with different creamers and flavorings if you love coffee until you get the perfect recipes. On the other hand, each sip of this delicious nectar can compromise your healthy diet, especially following a ketogenic alimentary regimen.
If you are on a keto diet, you should always opt for high-fat beverages. Eggnog can be consumed as part of your keto diet, but you might want to limit your intake as a product rich in carbs. We recommend trying butter coffee or adding a few drops of coconut oil to your drink for a delicious and indulgent alternative, which will not compromise your dietary regimen. Both these ingredients are rich in MCT oil, which can be converted into ketones in your liver and provide your body with all the energy it needs.
How To Make The Ultimate Bulletproof Eggnog Latte
The secret of making the perfect keto-friendly eggnog latte is to use a suitable sweetener. Of course, you should avoid sugar, and you can instead opt for Swerve or xylitol. You can add an alcoholic afternote if you prefer: dark rum and bourbon will work wonderfully.
This is what you need to make your keto-friendly eggnog latte (with less than 300 kcal!) in no more than 5 minutes:
- ½ cup keto eggnog
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups unsweetened nut milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup coffee (we recommend espresso, or a potent blend anyway)
- ½ cup xylitol or Swerve
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Whipped cream (optional)
- 1 cup dark rum or bourbon (optional)
Ready to make your super delicious keto-friendly eggnog latte?
- The first thing you need to do is to make your eggnog. Pour the nut milk and heavy cream into a saucepan to simmer for about 10 minutes. Leave the cinnamon and nutmeg to infuse. Once ready, set aside and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the yolks. Whisk them into a large bowl with the sweetener until you get a light and fluffy texture.
- Gradually, incorporate the hot milk mixture into the eggs. Don’t forget to whisk constantly! Return the mixture to the saucepan over low heat for another 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract and the liquor (optional). If you want your eggnog to be thicker, you can transfer it to the fridge to rest.
- Once you are happy with your eggnog texture, you can finally use it as a coffee creamer. Transfer it to an immersion blender with warmed-up almond milk and freshly grated nutmeg. The almond milk doesn’t need to be hot. Froth until you get your desired texture.
- Pour the coffee into your mugs or serving glasses, followed by eggnog milk—top with homemade whipped cream and even more grated nutmeg for extra flavor.
Can I Make Eggnog At Home?
Yes, indeed you can, and it is easier than you think. Although eggnog can be found at any local supermarket, making your own at home is always the healthiest (and cheapest) option. Here’s what you need to do to quickly and easily make some eggnog to be used as a coffee creamer or with other sweet recipes:
- Combine milk, egg yolks, cinnamon, honey, and nutmeg in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Add cloves and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add some vanilla extract.
- Don’t forget to remove the cloves before serving!
How To Make Eggnog Latte At Home
If you want to save on your occasional trips to Starbucks, you can still enjoy a delicious eggnog latte entirely made at home. This will also give you a whole world of possibilities to customize your drinks and give you more choice in dairy-free and diet-friendly ingredients.
Making a homemade eggnog latte is very easy. The first thing you need is some eggnog. You can make your own or buy your favorite one from your local shop. Then, here’s what you need to do:
- Brew some coffee. You need a strong drink, so we recommend using espresso.
- Combine the freshly-brewed coffee with the eggnog in a blender. If you want, you can add some nutmeg.
- Blend until foamy. If you don’t have a blender, you can combine all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake it vigorously.
- Transfer to your favorite mug and garnish with nutmeg (yes, there’s nothing like too much nutmeg).
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Time To Spice Up Your Coffee!
Eggnog is a delicious yet underrated beverage, which shouldn’t be drunk only at Christmas time.
If you like your coffee with a splash of milk or cream, then it is time for you to take it to the next level and add a bit of eggnog to your beverage.
This will bring you to a new world full of bold flavors to try and experiment with. It isis an indulgent treat that will make your coffee break even better.